Thursday, February 25, 2021

Raw Shoshana

 "I wake early.  The day begins before I open my eyes.  My mind is in motion.  Words and sentences have streamed through my dreams, solving problems on yesterday's pages.  The first work of the day is to retrieve those words that lay open a puzzle.  Only then am I ready to awaken my senses.  I try to discern each bird call in the symphony outside my windows :  the phoebe, redwing, blue jay, mockingbird, woodpecker, finch, starling, and chickadee.  Soaring above all their songs are the cries from the geese over the lake.  I splash warm water on my face, drink cool water to coax my body into alertness, and commune with our dog in the still silent house.  I make coffee and bring it into my study, where I settle into my desk chair, call up the screen, and begin.  I think.  I write these words and imagine you reading them.  I do this every day of every week--as I have for several years--and likely I will continue to do so for one or two years to come."

No comments:

Post a Comment