Monday, March 14, 2022

"Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly"

           I'm on a land clearing job on Hammond St.  It's the corner wooded lot of my childhood the one at the intersection of Chestnut and Hammond.  The left boundary line has been done revealing old man Arujo's stone wall to which barbed wire had been strung.  I turn inward toward the work that remained and see a metal thing protruding from the ground.  Curious, I dig it out, amazed to discover it was a small glockenspiel.  When I struck it, however, the sound was of a marimba or xylophone and richer (thicker and deeper) like Gary Burton's vibraphone ("vibes" as Milt Jackson would have it).  Maestro Burton's rendition of Chick Corea's "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" entered my head and incredibly I began to play it, note for note . 

          I awoke with the Song still echoing all around me .

          

          

No comments:

Post a Comment