Saturday, September 28, 2019

...Kung Fu...

I devoted the next several years to martial arts training.  Specifically, I wanted to develop the mind/body harmony of a Shao-Lin priest.  For eleven and a half months I studied Kung Fu  with Master Charles Babbitt in Providence, Rhode Island.  I was his only white student.  Master Babbitt's teaching was simple and direct.  He taught the combat was brought to an end as swiftly as possible.  He taught "subdue" not destroy.  His style was a serpent style called Cobra.  Combat took place in every class against every student regardless of size or capability.  When I left Master Babbitt I was able to hold the mind that could fight anybody, anywhere, any time.

Weapons training was next.  I heard that there was a Sword Master living at the Providence Zen Center.  When I got there I learned that he had moved to Boston but there was a 2nd Dan, Jacob Perl, who was his most advanced student and was teaching at Brown.  As soon as I saw Jacob's forms I asked to become his student, but when I saw the Master himself in a demonstration in Boston, I petitioned the Temple and was accepted, primarily because of Jacob's influence.  I was the first yellow belt ever to receive that privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment