Thursday, January 10, 2019

...moving wheels...

I begin my swim at the U.R.I. Natatorium with a 200 I.M.   The first 50 is Butterfly and at 67 I'm sorta "happy" I can still manage that distance.  Fly ain't EZ  but as Fortin plunged, "It's the only way to leave the shore".  Just so you know, there's NO "joy" in doing one lousy 25 yard length.  Shit - - -ANYBODY can flounder a 25 Fly --- the 50 makes it REAL.  I gotta confess the last four strokes are CERTAINLY drown-worthy... so --- there's THAT.

My story has relative value.  I was sitting in the parking lot at R.I. Import looking at the "Want Ads" and I saw "Aquatic Director / Swimming Coach".  Could it be real ?
I swam AT Seekonk High School and then AT U.Conn. ;  but I swam FOR Coach Meyers and then FOR Coach McDevitt.  I knew the Pool.  I was also a Water Safety Instructor out of the American Red Cross, moving wheels was bullshit, shit, I had a College Degree ---  I mean why not ?

THAT'S the Point.  I had skills and experience that could be utilized to get OUT from Drudgery and INTO more hospitable climes.  THIS is what I want to impress upon you Kidz.

My Hero, Robert Pirsig, blazes, "You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes any sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.  And if you project forward from that pattern, then sometimes, you can come up with something."

That's what I am trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment