I'm in the process of reading REGIME CHANGE -- Inside the Imperial Presidency of Donald Trump written by Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan . It's written in an Ancient Style , meaning, each chapter is "about" a specific individual and his or her relationship to trump . As a History-man I see echoes of Plutarch as well as Procopius penman of The Secret History . The SECRET HISTORY I have is the Penguin Classic, translated by G.A. Williamson and what follows is on the back cover :
"Having dutifully written the official war history of Justinian's reign, Procopius turned round and revealed in The Secret History the other faces of the leading men and women of Byzantium in the 6th century . Justinian, the great law-giver, appears as a hateful tyrant, wedded to an ex- prostitute, Theodora ; and Belisarius, the brilliant general whose secretary Procopius had been, is seen as the pliable dupe of his wife Antonia, a woman as corrupt and scheming as Theodora herself . In all, the vicious side of a splendid city is exposed by Procopius with a candor which is revolting ."
Please be patient with me as I unpack what I need from this Treasure Chest .
No comments:
Post a Comment